GOING SOMEWHERE? A GUIDE TO DESCRIPTION

Have you ever wanted to visit somewhere new but had cold feet because of the stress that comes with understanding descriptions?

Or you’ve always wanted someone to visit yours but your neighborhood doesn’t have an address? You have to now start saying, “the second left turn after the red gate, you’ll see a woman selling akara, enter the small foot path before the woman’s akara stand, walk down until you see a left turn, don’t follow that turn oh, keep walking until you see a right turn, after the right turn, there is a black gate, then after….” Your friend hangs up the call and you get a text “sorry, I’ll visit some other day”.

Or home delivery is always a case for you?  

Hello guys,

Let’s talk about descriptions today

I can boldly beat my chest and say that everyone has at least once been in a situation where they have had to get somewhere and had difficulties locating the place because of faulty description.

Thank God for goggle map now but I still believe it’s not accurate even if I have friends that disagree with me about that.

I’ve been in at least three situations where a friend sent me her location and I used goggle map but it took me elsewhere, same vicinity though but not the exact location.

Or when they call the address of the place and I follow the map judiciously and still find it difficult to get there.

Is it my phone or Google map has a personal beef with me?

There’s one time I remember I and my dad drove to visit a bereaved family friend at his work place, in another state. The bereaved is a professor but we spent close to an hour trying to locate the place.

Why?

Faulty description and faulty understanding of description

Well, I am here to help us all out because I think that I am pretty good at descriptions

Please just listen while arguing with your keypad.

The problem with description doesn’t only lie in the hand of the descriptor (person describing) but the descriptee (person receiving description) too.

It’s the same with communication. When what you say is not what the hearer hears, there is misunderstanding and communication is not complete.

How can this problem be solved?

Landmarks

What are landmarks?

A recognizable natural or manmade feature used for navigation.

In simple English, when it comes to description, Landmarks are popular maybe historic buildings that everyone can recognize even if the person is visiting that vicinity for the first time.

It can be a fast-food, hospital, an old church, a popular junction, a gas station, a big old tree, a bill-board, anything eye catchy and loud in that area.

For the describer;

·         Make use of as many landmarks as possible in the area

·         Do not misuse the words “before” and “after”, “adjacent” and “opposite”

Sorry, allow me to rephrase. Understand the meaning of the words above before using them and make sure the person you’re describing to, understands as well

·         For better results, confirm your location on Google map before sending it

·         Lastly, if your vicinity is really complicated, come out and meet the person halfway (at one of the landmarks)

For the person receiving the description;

·         Pay attention to landmarks

·         Be very observant

·         Ask questions as frequent as possible

·         Speak up when you don’t understand

·         If and when the process gets confusing, stand at a landmark and make the person to come and meet you there

I hope the above explanation helps ease the stress that comes with descriptions.

As usual, I want to hear your thoughts

Love, Deedee

XOXO

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Attending a Festival ALONE? How much fun is that?

Are you Jealous or Insecure?

COVER YOUR SHAME!!!